Written on: September 11th, 2012 in Guest Posts
Tobacco Cessation Resources
Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death in the United States. Each year, cigarette smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke account for nearly 1 of every 5 deaths.
In Delaware, smoking is responsible for at least $430 million per year in direct medical costs and an estimated $621 million per year in lost productivity due to sickness and premature death.
The DelaWELL Health Management program is committed to providing state employees with a safe and hazard-free workplace, with abundant opportunities to promote individual health and foster a healthy work environment.
The use of effective tobacco cessation programs and policies can reduce health risks, improve the quality of life for state employees, retirees and their families, lower direct costs such as insurance premiums and worker’s compensation claims and positively impact many indirect costs such as absenteeism and worker productivity.
Tobacco use contributes to an extensive list of serious diseases, including cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, multiple cancers, emphysema, and bronchitis; and second-hand smoke contributes to pediatric illness. We hope to reduce tobacco use within state government by offering cessation programs that encourage tobacco users to quit, and by reducing exposure to second-hand smoke.
The following DelaWELL Health Management programs are available to individuals who are currently enrolled in a State of Delaware Group Health Insurance Plan.
• Tobacco Cessation Health Coaching Program – Free, unlimited coaching for employees, spouses, dependents over 18 and non-Medicare retirees
• Online Tools – Tobacco learning center, tobacco cessation videos, Packwraps Program, daily check-in, online quit progress tracker, Smoke-Free Journal and more
• Plan My Quit website – free quit-smoking tools and information
• Tobacco Cessation Health Seminars
• “Beat the Pack Group Sessions” – 4 week onsite program that provides weekly tobacco cessation group sessions
• $0 copay on prescription Tobacco Cessation Medications
By offering free tobacco cessation resources to state employees, retirees and their families, we hope to make a direct impact on their quality of life and help to facilitate a smooth transition to a tobacco-free environment by supporting them in living happier and healthier lives.
For more about tobacco cessation resources, visit the DelaWELL Health Portal at https://delawell.alerehealth.com or contact the Alere Nurse24 line at 1-866-674-9103, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.